New dining center to offer more choices, go trayless
January 11, 2013
Proposed 2013-14 meal plans
Full Plus Plan: $1,530 per term for 19 meals a week and $50 in flex dollars.
Full Plan: $1,495 per term for 19 meals.
Any 15 Plus: $1,495 per term for any 15 meals plus $75 in flex dollars.
Any 12 Plus: $1,495 per term for 12 meals plus $100 in flex dollars.
Off Campus Plans
Any 10: 10 meals served.
Any 7 Plus: seven meals and $75 in flex dollars.
Any 5 Plus: five meals and $150 in flex dollars.
When the new Center for Student Life dining center opens next fall, students will find big changes: more food options, flexibility of seating and an improved atmosphere. They won't be paying with points and they won't be carrying trays.
Much of the food preparation will move out of the kitchen and into chef/server areas in a multi-station marché, or market-style serving stations, in five primary areas:
• Global Fusion will serve Asian foods including Chinese, Thai and Middle-Eastern. Customers will fill their bowls with vegetables and proceed to the chef to select meats and sauces.
• Green Creations will be a market-style deli offering soups, bread and a salad bar.
• American Grill will be a station for burgers, fries and grilled chicken.
• Wild Thymes/Comfort Zone will offer vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options, plus a carvery for traditional "comfort" foods.
• Bella Luna will serve pizzas, calzones and strombolis prepared exhibition-style, and will have a made-to-order pasta station plus an assortment of casseroles, breads and specialty salads.
The dining center will be tray-less. Customers will use new dishes made of porcelain-covered aluminum, so that food retains its optimal temperature longer.
Another change will be the way diners pay for their meals. Current meal plan options include full-plus, full, three-quarters, half and quarter plans. Using a point system, students buy products at any of the food venues on campus. Food points not used by the end of the year are refunded.
The new meal plan for the CSL will be a hybrid plan consisting of "All you care to eat" and flex dollars.
Students in the residence halls will have four options offering different combinations of meals served in the CSL and flex dollars. Students living off campus would have three options.
Flex dollars can be used in a C-store, snack bar, Brew by the Slough or concessions at the Austin E. Knowlton Outdoor Athletic Complex. "To go" meals will be available in the new dining room or the snack bar.
The current Augustana full meal plan for 2012-13 is $1,448 for two meals per day.
Under the new 2013-14 plan, one week of 15 meals per week will cost on average $8.61 per meal. This compares with 2012-13 per-meal costs of $8 at Wartburg College, $8.51 at Concordia, $9.80 at Gettysburg and $10.14 at Grinnell.
Visitors or customers without a college ID will pay $7 for breakfast, $9 for lunch and $10 for dinner in an "All you care to eat" format.
Dining hours will be 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. on weekends. The CSL will serve 19 meals a week. As now, brunch will served instead of breakfast and lunch on Saturdays and Sundays.
For more information or to ask questions about the new plans, contact Garry Griffith, director of food service.