Augustana College printing logo

Special Frieze lectures for the 150th

October  14, 2010

When the Rock Island Library observed its 125th anniversary in 1998, Augustana College professors contributed to the celebration with the first Frieze lectures.

(The lecture series was named after the library's frieze, the decorative band around the top of the Main Library building that is inscribed with the names of literary figures.)

Thirteen years later, it's Augustana's sesquicentennial year and the 2010 Frieze Lecture Series is part of the celebration.

The annual partnership between the library and the college brings professors into the library for college-level lectures without tests or grades. The four-part series is offered at 2 p.m. on Thursdays from Oct. 21 to Nov. 11 in the community room of the downtown library at 401 19th St.

Topics and presenters are:

  • October 21: "Augustana History, 1935 to 1975" by Thomas Tredway, Augustana president emeritus. Dr. Tredway, whose history of the college, Coming of Age, was published earlier this year, served as president from 1975-2003, a time of great change in higher education.
  • October 28: "Ivory Tower or Front Porch?" by Roald Tweet, professor emeritus of English, speaking on the relationship between the college and the city of Rock Island. Dr. Tweet is the author of numerous publications on Mississippi River and local history, and has a radio program, "Rock Island Lines," on WVIK FM90.3. He became a member of the Augustana English department in 1960, and served as chair from 1967-1984.
  • November 4: "The Augustana Music Legacy" by James Lambrecht, professor of trumpet and director of bands at the college. Dr. Lambrecht earned his master's and doctoral-level degrees from Indiana University and now serves as a guest conductor, clinician and soloist throughout the United States and abroad.
  • November 11: "Treasures from the Augustana Art Collection" by Sherry C. Maurer, director of the Augustana Art Collection and Art Museum. The Augustana College Art Museum offers a wide variety of visual art exhibitions, as well as opportunities for artists from the campus and community to display their work.

Each lecture is free, and is followed by coffee and conversation . For more information, call the library at (309) 732-7323.

The frieze

The downtown Rock Island Library opened in 1903. (Much of the project was funded by the Denkmann family, who also funded the first library building at Augustana in 1911.)

The library's frieze goes all the way around the top of the building, engraved with the names of a dozen writers, some familiar, some not. (See Who's on the frieze?)