Svenska Kulturförbundet/The Swedish Cultural Society records, 1962-2002
Size: 4.25 linear feet, 9 boxes (1 oversized)
Acquisition: Donated by Leslie Flink, St. Paul, Minnesota.
Access: The collection is open for research and a limited amount of copies may be requested via mail.
Processed by: Christina Johansson, January 2005
Control Num.: SSIRC I/O:59
The Swedish Cultural Society was organized in Rock Island, Illinois in 1910. The Society was affiliated with Riksföreningen för Svenskhetens bevarande i Utlandet based in Göteborg. Local chapters were formed in Chicago, Duluth, Rockford, Minneapolis, Cleveland, New York, Buffalo, North Carolina, Los Angeles, Seattle, East Orange N.J. and Oak Park, Illinois. The Minneapolis chapter was organized in 1923.
The main purpose of the Society was to preserve the Swedish language and to promote Swedish culture within the Swedish-American community.
The Minneapolis, St. Paul chapter held monthly meetings at which a cultural program was often presented. The Society also frequently organized trips to various Swedish-American sites in Minnesota.
The official periodical for the Swedish Cultural Society was Kulturarvet and it was published by the Minneapolis, St. Paul chapter 1985-1988. The editor for this period was Mariann Tiblin.
The material includes minutes from the organization for the years 1962-1970, Membership listings, addresses and mailing lists, correspondence, information about trips and tours arranged by the society, and financial records 1950-2002. The early years of the Society are not well represented in this collection and it is not known if they exist today.
1. History, Constitution and By-laws etc., in English
2. Minutes, Agendas, Financial Statements, Membership lists, 1992-2002, in English
3. Minutes, 1986-1993, in English
4. Minutes, 1976-1985, in English
5. Minutes, 1973-1976, in Swedish
6. Minutes, 1970-1972, in Swedish
7. Minutes, 1962-1970, in Swedish
8. Meeting Agendas, 1991-2002
1. Addresses - Membership roosters, 1998-1999
2. Membership roosters, mailing lists, 1992-2001
3. Address lists, 1979-1987
4. Address lists/labels 1999-2000
5. Memorials, clippings, obituaries, misc.
6. Membership rooster/ dues 1994-2002
Membership book, 1923-1950
Membership cards, 1970s-1990s
1. Correspondence, 1991-2003
2. Swedish Cultural Society, Mankato--Correspondence 1964-1967
3. Correspondence, 1953-1965
4. National Council Meetings, Correspondence 1990-2002
5. Letters addressed to Janice Mc Elfish, editor of A.S.I. Posten, 1991-2002
6. Correspondence re. the artist Carl Berndtson born 1908
7. Song sheets
1. Programs, 1999-2002
2. Listings of servers and treats for programs/meetings
3. Tours and One day trips
4. Tours and One day trips
5. Svenskarnas Dag--Corresp., programs etc.
6. Programs, 1992-1999
1. Income and Treasurer's Report, 1974-2002
2. Receipt Book, 1950-1990
3. Receipt Book, 1990-1994
4. Receipt Book, 1994-2002
5. Bank Statements, 1995-2003
Cancelled Checks, 1994-2002
Membership material on 3 x 5 index cards, arranged in alphabetical order.
Box 9 (oversized)