American Scandinavian Association at Augustana, Rock Island, Illinois, USA
The American Scandinavian Association was founded in 1934 by a group of Scandinavians living in the Quad City area. We are an associate chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation, headquartered in New York. The ASA aims are:
- to stimulate and promote interest in relations and culture between the U.S. and all five of the Nordic countries
- to preserve the Nordic heritage in Western Illinois and Eastern Iowa
- to advance Nordic culture in the U.S. and U.S. culture in the Nordic countries
Some local annual celebrations include:
- Yellow Pea Soup (Ärtsoppa) and Swedish Pancake Supper in January or February
- Easter Craft Workshop in Spring (alternating with...)
- Våffeldag celebration in Spring
- Midsommar Fest in June
- Kräftskiva (Crayfish Party) in August
- Lutfisk Dinner in Autumn, usually November (see our listing at Lutfisk Lovers' Lifeline)
- Luciafest together with Augustana's Department of Scandinavian Studies
- Occasional bus trips to Chicago's Andersonville and IKEA stores
- See our calendar of events below!
- Watch Augustana's Department of Scandinavian Studies for their schedule.
The ASA welcomes new members. Annual membership fees are $10 per individual, $20 per family. Membership privileges include opportunities for participation in ASA activities and informational newsletters.
Email us to request a brochure! Or mail membership payment (checks payable to "ASA") to: ASA Membership, Swenson Center, Augustana College, 639 38th St, Rock Island IL 61201-2296. Click here and ask to join our Facebook page!
Pea Soup and Swedish Pancake Supper Feb. 23
Dr. Norman and Janet Moline will present "Red Buildings and Iron: The Swedish Connection" at the annual American Scandinavian Association at Augustana Pea Soup and Swedish Pancake Supper on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017.
The evening begins with social time and punch at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. The menu includes pea soup, including a vegetarian version, Swedish mustard, apple red cabbage salad, limpa and Swedish rye bread, cheese, cookies, Swedish pancakes with lingonberries, and decaf coffee.
The deadline for reservations is Feb. 16. Tickets are $12 for adults and $6 for students. Please send a check payable to ASA to Loryann Eis, 2037 15th St., Moline, Ill., 61265. Call 309-762-8303 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for reservation assistance. Please note if guests will need assistance from the parking lot.
Access the Gerber Center from 34th Street. For this evening only, park in Faculty/Staff lots J (parallel to 34th St.) and I (north of Brodahl - no parking in the Residents’ spaces). Park also is available in the area between Anderson/Bartholomew and Gerber. There are some handicapped spaces here. Do not park in the 15 minute spaces.
Location: The Gerber Center for Student Life Google Maps
Tickets: $12 for adults and $6 for students