The worldwide Augustana College experience

My Crazy First Days

So just when I thought that things were going to go smoothly with my journey to the Land Down Under, travel got in the way. To begin, it took over a half an hour just to check in for my flight at O’Hare because the lady behind the desk (bless her heart) had to jump through so many hoops to make sure my bags were going to make it all the way to Australia. So after all of the confusion, I finally was on my way to Australia, but my problems were only just beginning.

After the long and excruciating flights to Los Angeles and then to Sydney, I was in no mood for any sort of shenanigans to go down. All I wanted to do was get my bags, get to the apartment and take a long shower, but that process was delayed by a nightmare for every traveler: lost luggage. One of my two bags that I checked didn’t arrive with the rest of the luggage. This bag had my toothbrush/toothpaste, deodorant, sunscreen (a necessity in Australia), new contact lenses, all of my casual outfits, and my baseball glove. You can believe how this put a damper on my spirits.

Now that I’m feeling angry, dirty, and snarky, I took a cab with some classmates to our apartment, where the rooms would not be ready until 2 pm. This meant that we had to drag our luggage to a storage cage deep in the garage of the apartment complex. Again, not helping bring my mood up. We then proceeded to meet up with our representatives in Sydney, who gave us a walking tour of the area, our orientation, and a free lunch (finally something positive in my day).
Since I was barely surviving the 36 hours of travel, I was ready to get into my apartment and relax, but of course, that was not going to come easy. When we arrived at our apartment, we were told that our rooms were not ready yet even though it was after 3 pm. At this point, I thought that this whole experience was a circus.
But we finally got into our rooms and my bag arrived the next day, so things now have evened out extremely. To celebrate, I spent the day at Manly Beach, which is one of the most famous beaches in the world. I spent my time there being crushed by waves and turning into a burnt remnant of my former self. The day was all topped off by going out with some of the other kids in the program to a place called Bar Cleveland. It was a chill bar, and I met a man there who claimed to have formerly played in the Australian Football League. Interesting to say the least.
So all in all, my first days in Australia have gone from a complete mess to pretty amazing. I can’t wait to see what the rest of my time here will bring.

Leave a Reply