Quad Cities Area High School Advanced Language Study Program
Augustana College Quad Cities Area High School Advanced Language Study Program
Augustana College is pleased to offer area high school students the opportunity to further their advanced foreign language study on our campus. This program is available to currently enrolled high school students in the Quad-Cities community. Through this program Augustana will make available, to qualifying participants, a select set of upper level foreign language courses available each term.
Eligible participants must:
- be a currently enrolled high school student in the Quad Cities area
- completed 10th grade
- have completed a minimum of four-years of high school language study in a single language or
- have earned a score of 4 or 5 on the AP exam in the appropriate language (course placement will be determined by the Augustana department chair)
- have prior approval from the high school for participation
- meet all application requirements and standards
- adhere to all the academic policies and procedures as well as Augustana College code of social conduct
In addition, participants are considered part-time non-degree students and cannot participate in:
- living in campus housing
- visiting Augustana campus housing
- participating in student groups, clubs or organizations excluding those that relate to foreign languages
- attending any social or service events or gatherings that are open to college age students only
- alumni status following completion of these courses
Optional items for purchase:
- an Augustana parking pass (students must buy a pass to park in campus lots or park on the city street)
- a meal card to eat in our dining facilities (or they may use cash)
STEP ONE - Apply to the program
To participate, interested, eligible individuals should apply to the program by completing the one-page Special Student Application available for completion online or it may be printed and completed in paper form and returned to:
Augustana College, Office of the Registrar, 639 38th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201
Students need to be prepared to comply with the following requirements in order to enroll:
- Submit a signed letter from the high school principal stating the student is in good standing and granting permission to enroll in the program
- Submit high school transcripts showing successful completion four-years of language (see address above)
- If fewer than 4 years of language are completed, student must have official AP scores sent from College Borad to Augustana.
- Take foreign language placement exams (if requested by the department)
- Report to campus to register in person on campus
- Bring a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID at the time of registration
- Sign the several required forms (Augustana Honor Pledge, Campus Communication Form, Media Release and the High School Foreign Language Program agreement at the time of registration)
- Show photo ID to obtain a valid campus identification card
- Set-up an Augustana email account
- Validate your campus network username and password
STEP TWO - Register for courses
Prior to the start of each term, the Registrar's Office will provide a list of available courses upon request from the student or high school (availability will vary by term and by language). Registration for these seats will start during the previous term's final exam week and will be on a first-come, first-served basis Contact the Office of the Registrar for exact dates/times for registration. To receive this discount, students must register in-person in the Office of the Registrar, Founders Hall during the designated date/times and complete the additional required forms.
Participants in this program must have a valid email address for application purposes. Payment for courses will be billed at the time of registration and is non-refundable.
STEP THREE - Taking the course.
Approved participants are expected to enroll and attend class starting the first day of the term. Full participation in the course is an expectation for this program. Students must adhere to the same enrollment dates, deadline and procedures published in the Academic Calendar.
Augustana is pleased to offer these courses for a nominal fee of only $1000 for a regular 3-credit course. Participants will be held to the same academic and disciplinary standards of the Augustana community. Campus housing is not available for participants in this program. Students will be able to request transcripts for one month following the conclusion of the course for no fee (requests must be made in Arches). After this time, students will be charged the regular transcript fees. Students who enroll in this program and subsequently enroll at Augustana as a degree seeking student are eligible to receive a $1000 scholarship to attend the college.
Individuals who are not eligible for this program, but are interested in taking courses at Augustana for credit should follow the regular admission process and will pay regular tuition.
For questions please call (309)794-7277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org