The Gerber Center 423 (next to the computer lab)
Hours during the term:
Monday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Sunday: 7-9 p.m.
Students may drop in or call ahead (309-794-8987) for an appointment. Students may also access Starfish to sign up for appointments. Appointments are encouraged at the end of terms.
The Reading/Writing Center (RWC) provides all Augustana students with an opportunity for one-on-one instruction and advice on writing, reading, and other academic skills. The Center is staffed by three faculty members who conduct one-time sessions or multiple-scheduled sessions designed to promote academic self-confidence, skills and knowledge.
The RWC also employs peer tutors who have completed two terms of instruction in writing, learning and tutoring theory. These students serve as academic consultants who understand what other students are experiencing and can explain practices of reading and writing in a non-stressful way.
Whether you are a first-year student or a senior, the RWC and its tutors are ready to help. The Center offers:
- advice on any stage of writing a paper: getting started, drafting, revising, or proofreading
- instruction on reading comprehension and strategies for reading complex texts
- guidance on writing personal statements for graduate school or job placement
- practice with English skills, if English is not your first language
- individual help in preparing for reading comprehension or writing portions of graduate examinations
- reference books about writing
- a comfortable place to ask questions and share knowledge