The Faculty Research Committee solicits proposals for Sabbatical Leave Grants and Summer Research Stipends
Nature of these research grants (see Faculty Handbook for details):
- If you have been granted a sabbatical for two or more terms of the next academic year (2012/ 2013), you are eligible to apply for a $3,600 supplemental research grant.
-There are two available Sabbatical Leave Grants
- If you are a non-tenured faculty member and have academic rank, you may apply for a $1,800 summer research stipend.
-There are two available Summer Research Stipends
- The grants are to support the creative and scholarly activity of faculty.
- The grants support a variety of activities, including basic research and creative work.
- Fundable items include faculty salary replacement, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, computer time, typing costs, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects not eligible for support include those aimed at bolstering academic coursework, and dissertation research/writing.
- The proposals are screened by the Faculty Research Committee and funded by Augustana College.
- Awarded funds will be available in July 2012.
- In the context of the top two bulleted items above, any faculty member with academic rank who is full-time faculty, joint appointment faculty, adjunct or part-time faculty, are eligible. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
Guidelines and selection process of the proposals (see Faculty Handbook for details):
1) Five page maximum proposal with itemized budget
2) Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget (budget must distinguish between money that will be paid to applicant and money that will be used to pay expenses), required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e., publications, art exhibits, baseline info for future work
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Sabbatical Leave Grant proposals must include a copy of the approved sabbatical proposal
- Current Curriculum Vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3) Criteria used by committee to rate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation, appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication or public attention, applicant's qualifications
4) Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College and the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee no later than 1 year after notification of the grant. Should the project not be completed within a year, a progress report should be submitted to the Chair of the committee and the Academic Affairs Office.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana's financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by e- mail attachment if at all possible (otherwise six hard copies) by 5:00 PM on April 10, 2012 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office. Expected date of award announcements: April 23, 2012. Direct questions to any member of the committee: David Arbesú, Daniel Conway, Ian Harrington, Scott Irelan, Eric Stewart, or Jim van Howe.