Monday, January 16
4:00 - 5:00 PM - All LSFY Meeting CANCELLED
4:30 PM - Deadline to submit Proposals for Teaching & Learning Experiences
Academic Affairs Office
6:30 PM - Honor Band Festival Finale Concert
Featuring two high school festival bands as well as Augustana Symphonic Band
Tuesday, January 17
11:30 - 11:50 AM - Tuesday Reflection - Megan Keller, '12
Ascension Chapel, Founders Hall, 2nd floor
3:30 - 4:30 PM - Genesis Employee Assistance Program Informational Meeting
Board Room, College Center, 2nd floor
4:30 - 5:30 PM - Ekklesia Study Group
Old Main 121
5:30 PM - Sky Full of Lighters
Lantern-lighting event complete with inspiring music and hot chocolate and a ceremony to bring tears to your eyes and motivation to take a stand. Buy a lantern for only $3 and write the name of a loved one or someone you know fighting cancer, and turn the switch to light the Quad with HOPE! Lanterns are on sale all week in the College Center or you can buy yours at the event.
Wednesday, January 18
12:00 - 12:50 PM - Faculty, Staff & Administrators' Bible Study
New Bible Study Series: "Justice for the Poor" featuring a 10-minute DVD introduction to each of the six sessions by Jim Wallis, editor-in-chief of Sojourners Magazine."
Bring your lunch and a Bible
Chicago Room, College Center
4:00 - 5:00 PM - Women's & Gender Studies Tea Series: Conquering Canaan and Making Men? Manculinity in the Book of Judges
presented by Kelly Murphy
Evald Great Hall
7:00 PM - Hispanic Film Festival: Lula Son of Brazil
This free film is the story of the early years of Brazilian President Luis Inácio da Silva, a man who came from nowhere to eventually achieve success (Not rated; in Portuguese with subtitles). 128 min.
Hanson Hall of Science 102
Thursday, January 19
9:00 - 10:00 AM - Genesis Employee Assistance Program Informational Meeting
Board Room, College Center, 2nd floor
10:00 AM - 1:30 PM - 13th Annual Augustana Food Fair"
Sample a wide variety of products and help select new items for next year's menu. Free.
College Center Dining room & 2nd Floor Lounge
11:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Division Meetings
See Announcements for locations
7:00 PM - Let's Talk About It: Making Sense of the American Civil War"
Steve Warren leads this series of reading and discussion groups
For details or to register and obtain copies of all program materials, visit the 2nd floor reference desk or call 309-524-2470.
Moline Public Library, 3210 41st Street, Moline, IL
Friday, January 20
Registration for So, Jr, Sr Students
1:30 PM - Windows 7/Office 2010 Workshop
Workshop will cover "What's New" with Windows 7 and Office 2010
RSVP to Wendy Ramsdale
4:00 PM - Friday Conversation: Mary Windeknecht presents "Advising: Intervention with At-Risk Students"
3:30 PM - Refreshments
4:30 PM - Deadline to submit Summer Research Fellowships
7:30 PM - Percussion Ensemble Concert
A wide variety of percussion repertoire performed by Augustana students under the direction of Tony Oliver.
Ensemble Room, Bergendoff Hall
Saturday, January 21
7:00 - 9:00 PM - Asian Night
Students and faculty are given a chance to try new foods and observe cultures different from their own.
Tickets will be on sale Jan. 11-16 in the College Center during lunch and dinner hours. $5 in advance; $6 at the door
Westerlin Residence Center
8:00 PM - Faculty Recital - Randall Hall, saxophone
Wallenberg Hall, Denkmann Building
Sunday, January 22
11:30 AM - 4:30 PM - 2nd Annual Women in Leadership Symposium
RSVP to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Volume 9, Issue 18 - January 16, 2012
GrantsAugustana's Grants Website
The Faculty Research Committee solicits proposals for the Faculty Research Fund
Nature of this research fund:
- The fund exists to support the creative and scholarly activity of the faculty.
- Fundable items include, but are not limited to, student salaries, special equipment (which would be considered college property), supplies, journal page costs, work in major archives, and additional study.
- Projects aimed at bolstering academic coursework or assisting with dissertation research and writing are not eligible.
- Proposals are reviewed by the Faculty Research Committee and funded as part of the college's annual administrative budget.
- The total annual funds to be drawn upon for this year total approximately $10,500.
- Past awards have ranged from $500 to $2,500.
- Continuing projects are eligible for repeated funding but must include an annual timeline and annual budget. Proposals that build upon previously funded projects must demonstrate progress and have expended the previous year's funding.
- Any faculty member with academic rank, including full-time, joint-appointment, adjunct or part-time faculty, is eligible to apply. This includes librarians, coaches, or appointees to concurrent administrative positions with rank.
Guidelines and selection criteria for the research fund (see Faculty Handbook for details):
1) Five page maximum proposal including itemized budget
2) Proposal must include:
- Identification of research problem or description of creative project
- Explanation of materials and methods, including itemized budget, required to tackle problem
- Relation of proposed work to work of applicant's peers
- Nature of result or product anticipated, i.e. publications, art exhibits, baseline information for future work, etc.
- Timeline for significant milestones or project completion
- Summary of research grants received from Augustana sources during the past five years, along with results of projects funded
- Current curriculum vitae (includes applicant's general qualifications and relevant previous work; this is in addition to the five page limit for the proposal; please limit CV to five pages)
3) Criteria used by the committee to evaluate proposals: eligibility, clarity of presentation, appropriate budget prediction, prospects for publication and public attention, applicant's qualifications, inclusion of student researchers (student researchers are not required, but are often favorably reviewed)
4) Expectation for funded work:
- A brief (1-2 page) report detailing the results of the research, including where the work was presented, performed, and/or published. This should be submitted to the Dean of the College and the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee no later than 1 year after notification of the grant.
- Funds not expended by 1 year after the award notification will revert back to the general Faculty Research account. Any exceptions must be approved by the Chair of the Faculty Research Committee and the Dean of the College prior to the end of the grant year.
- Faculty who are funded by these grants are expected to give a lecture or public presentation of the project's results within a reasonable amount of time.
- Acknowledgement of Augustana financial assistance in products created from funded work.
Please send your proposal by email attachment (otherwise, six hard copies) by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 30, 2012 to Mary Koski in the Dean's Office. Awards will be announced no later than February 20, 2012. Direct questions to any member of the committee: David Arbesu, Dan Conway, Ian Harrington, Scott Irelan, Eric Stewart, or Jim van Howe.